Interleague play is back! What’s that? You haven’t missed it?
- As the Pirates come to town let’s do an interleague reset: Since interleague play started in 1997, the Tigers have compiled a 124-108 record, 57-33 in interleague games at Comerica Park. This year they’re 1-2.
- In a related note, here’s the good news coming into this weekend: The Tigers’ next three series are against teams that are an average of nine games under .500. Then again, their last three series were against teams that are an average of 10 games under so draw whatever conclusions you will.
- I forgot to mention that we’ve got a new Pulse Check this week. Take a nanosecond and vote, won’t you?
- The other day I was thinking about what a shame it was that Jim Leyland never got to manage the Tigers at Tiger Stadium. Then I got to wondering if he ever managed at all at the old ballpark — and he did.
In June 1997 Leyland brought his Florida Marlins to Detroit and, of course, took two of three.
- June 16: Marlins 7 – Tigers 3 — W: Kevin Brown; L: Willie Blair
- June 17: Marlins 3 – Tigers 2 — W: Antonio Alfonseca L: Todd Jones
- June 18: Tigers 3 – Marlins 2 — W: Omar Olivares L: Al Leiter
And now you know.
- I thought I was done linking to articles about Armando Galarraga but apparently I’m not. Here’s a nice story by Jon Paul Morosi on FoxSports.com.
- If you’ve lost track, stopped caring or both, here’s a look at Dontrelle Willis‘ stats in two starts for the Diamondbacks: 1-0, 10 IP, 8 hits, 2 R/ER, 10 walks, 5 strikeouts, 1.80 WHIP.
Meanwhile, Billy Buckner has been abysmal in Toledo: 1-1, 7.15 ERA, 11.1 IP, 20 hits, 9 R/ER, 6 strikeouts, 1.94 WHIP.
Finally, today’s the birthday of former Tiger Adam Pettyjohn. A couple of years ago he returned to the majors briefly after some serious health issues. Here’s a link from the Fungo archives on him. Give it a look.
Have a great weekend.