Tigers Today: June 15, 2010
Posted on June 15, 2010
33-29, 2nd place; 2.5 GB Minnesota
Tigers vs. Nationals | 7:05 p.m. ET – Comerica Park | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2008 — Former Tigers pitching coach Billy Muffett passed away at 78. Muffett took over for Roger Craig as Tigers pitching coach in 1985 and remained on Sparky Anderson‘s staff until 1994. As a player, Muffett pitched for Red Sox, Giants and Cardinals from 1957 through 1962 and finished with a 16-23 record, 15 saves, and a 4.33 ERA.
- 1965 — Denny McLain made a first-inning relief appearance and struck out the first seven batters he faced, setting a major league record. He recorded 14 strikeouts in 6.2 innings as Detroit rallied to beat the Boston Red Sox 6-5. Bill Freehan had a record-tying 19 putouts at catcher.
- 1963 — The Tigers acquired OF George Thomas and cash considerations from the Angels for RHP Paul Foytack and infielder Frank Kostro.
- 1960 — The Tigers acquired RHP Clem Labine from the Dodgers for RHP Ray Semproch
- 1948 — The Tigers and Hal Newhouser beat the Philadelphia Athletics, 4-1, before a crowd of 54,480 in the first night game at Briggs Stadium. The Tigers were the last American League team to install lights.