Tigers Today: June 23, 2010
Posted on June 23, 2010
38-31, 2nd place; 1.5 GB Minnesota
Tigers @ Mets | 7:10 p.m. ET – Citi Field | On the air: ESPN-HD, FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Mets 14 – Tigers 6
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2001 — The Tigers acquired RHP Jose Lima and cash considerations from the Astros for RHP Dave Mlicki.
- 1998 — The Tigers acquired a player to be named (infielder Jason Wood) from the Athletics for OF Bip Roberts.
- 1997 — In Detroit, the Yankees’ David Cone strikes out 16 and Cecil Fielder hits a three-run homer against his former club in New York’s 5-2 win.
- 1967 — The Tigers acquired cash considerations from the Reds for OF Jake Wood.
- 1958 — The Tigers acquired RHP Al Cicotte from the Senators for RHP Vito Valentinetti.
- 1950 — A major-league record 11 homer runs drive in all the runs scored in a 10-9 Tigers win over the Yankees before 51,000 fans at Tiger Stadium. Detroit has four home runs in the fourth inning as Dizzy Trout, Jerry Priddy,
Vic Wertz and Hoot Evers go deep. Pitcher Dizzy Trout’s homer, off Tommy Byrne, is his second lifetime grand slam.
Evers hits another home run, an inside-the-park, two-run game winner in the ninth off Joe Page to win it. For New York, Hank Bauer belts two homers, including one in the fourth. Joe DiMaggio, Jerry Coleman, Yogi Berra and pinch-hitter Tommy Henrich also go yard. It’s the first time that nine different players connect for homers in a game.
- 1915 — For the fth time this month, and sixth time this season, Ty Cobb steals home, doing it in a 4-2 Tigers win over the St. Louis Browns. Cobb scores another run when Sam Crawford hits back to Browns P Grover Lowdermilk, who somersaults after catching the grounder and sits on the mound holding the ball. Cobb scores all the way from second base on the play.