Tigers Today: July 5, 2010
Posted on July 5, 2010
43-37, tied for first place with Minnesota
Tigers vs. Orioles | 1:05 p.m. ET – Comerica Park | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Mariners 8 – Tigers 1
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2002 — The Tigers, A’s and Yankees swing a three-team deal: Detroit sends Jeff Weaver to the Yankees, New York sends LHP Ted Lilly to the A’s who send first baseman Carlos Pena, RHP Franklyn German and Jeremy Bonderman to the Tigers. The A’s get OF John-Ford Griffin and P Jason Arnold from New York.
- 1984 — Down 4-1 with two outs in the ninth, the visiting Tigers score six runs to beat the Rangers, 7-4. Lou Whitaker‘s bases-loaded single scores two, Alan Trammell’s single scores another, and Kirk Gibson seals it with a three-run shot down the right field line. Charlie Hough is charged with the loss, and Aurelio Lopez’s record moves to 7-0.
- 1969 — Mickey Stanley stretches his errorless-games streak to 220.
- 1952 – The Tigers fire their manager, Red Rolfe, replacing him with the popular pitcher Fred Hutchinson.
- 1919 — The Tigers acquired RHP Doc Ayers from the Senators for RHP Eric Erickson.