49-44, 2nd place; 2.5 GB Chicago
Tigers vs. Blue Jays | 1:05 p.m. ET – Comerica Park | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Tigers 4 – Rangers 1
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2005 — The Tigers acquired infielder John McDonald from the Blue Jays for cash considerations.
- 1993 — Greg Gagne hits a home run off the Tigers’ Mark Leiter in the Royals’ 12-6 victory. The home run is the
10,000th hit at Tiger Stadium, making it the first ballpark to reach that figure. During the game, Travis Fryman draws a walk off Enrique Burgos, then proceeds to circle the bases on three wild pitches by Burgos.
- 1960 — The Tigers acquired RHP Bill Fischer from the Senators for RHP Tom Morgan.
- 1941 — Dick Wakefield becomes baseball’s first ‘bonus baby’ when he signs with the Tigers for $52,000 and a new car. A bonus baby must stay on the major-league roster all year. The University of Michigan standout will hit .143 in seven at-bat but will eventually turn into a solid outfielder.
- 1909 — For the first of four times in his career, Ty Cobb steals second base, third, and home in an inning, doing it in the seventh against Red Sox pitcher Harry Wolter. It is also Ty’s first swipe of home in his career. The Tigers beat the Red Sox 6-0.