Tigers Today: July 30, 2010
Posted on July 30, 2010
51-50, 3rd place; 6 GB Chicago
Tigers @ Red Sox | 7:10 p.m. ET – Fenway Park | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Rays 4 – Tigers 2
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2009 — Acquired cash considerations from the Royals for outfielder Josh Anderson.
- 2008 — The Tigers re-acquired Kyle Farnsworth from the Yankees for Ivan Rodriguez.
- 1994 — The Tigers defeat the A’s, 14-2, as catcher Chad Kreuter ties a major-league record with three sacrifice flies. He’s the ninth player in history to do it.
- 1977 — The Tigers acquired cash considerations from the Cubs for LHP Dave Roberts.
- 1951 — Ty Cobb testifies in front of Congress denying the reserve clause makes ‘peons’ out of baseball players.
- 1917 — Ty Cobb, Bobby Veach and Ossie Vitt follow each other in the lineup, each going 5-for-5 in a 16-4 win over the Senators. Having three players collect five hits ties the major-league record for the century. Cobb also scores five times.