Tigers Today: August 13, 2010
Posted on August 13, 2010
55-59, 3rd place, 9.5 GB
Tigers @ White Sox | 8:10 p.m. ET – U.S. Cellular Field | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 1984 — The Tigers defeated the Atlanta Braves, 7-5 in the annual Hall of Fame Game at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown.
- 1972 — Tigers manager Billy Martin picks his starting lineup out of a hat in an attempt to halt the Tigers’ 4-game losing streak. The ploy works as Detroit defeats Cleveland 3-2. Using a regular lineup in the nightcap, the Tigers lose 9-2.
- 1934 — In a preview of the World Series, the Cardinals play the Tigers in an exhibition game in Detroit. The Deans refuse to make the trip, having both pitched the day before. Dizzy is fined $100 and Paul $50.
- 1911 — Ty Cobb, apparently believing the Tigers can no longer win the pennant race, begins a vacation.
- 1909 — The Tigers acquired infielder Jim Delahanty from the Senators for infielders Germany Schaefer and Red