58-60, 3rd place; 10 GB
Tigers @ Yankees | 7:05 p.m. ET – Yankee Stadium | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2009 — The Tigers acquired first baseman Aubrey Huff from the Orioles in a trade for Brett Jacobson.
- 1984 — The Tigers draw 36,496 to break their attendance mark of 2,031,847 set in 1968. They also top the Mariners 6-2, behind Milt Wilcox. Alan Trammell returns to shortstop for the first time in 39 games and adds two hits.
- 1977 — Aurelio Lopez of the Mexico City Reds racks up his 30th save to go with a record 19 relief victories.
- 1969 — The Tigers tie a club record with six homers, and Denny McLain wins his 19th, beating the A’s at Oakland, 9-4. Al Kaline homers in the seventh and ninth off relievers, but the first three Tigers homers come off starter Catfish Hunter.
- 1967 — The Tigers acquired infielder Eddie Mathews from the Astros for RHP Fred Gladding and cash.
- 1919 — The Tigers draw a record 31,500 at home, but lose 4-2 to the Senators in 11 innings. Ten ground rule doubles are hit into the crowd lining the outfield.