58-62, 3rd place; 12 GB
Yankees 9 – Tigers 5
Yankees 6 — Tigers 2
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2007 — In a historic first, a player hits a home run off of a pitcher who won a Cy Young Award before the hitter was even born. Roger Clemens is the pitcher, Cameron Maybin the hitter.
- 1984 — Juan Berenguer goes 8-1/3 innings and strikes out 12 to give the Tigers a 4-3 victory over the Mariners. Kirk Gibson drives in three runs with his 20th homer of the year, and becomes the first Tiger ever to reach 20-20 in homers and steals. Gibson’s homer is his 15th game-winning RBI this year.
- 1976 — The Angels nip the Tigers 5-4 in 11 innings. Nolan Ryan works the first 10, fanning 17.
- 1972 — Mickey Lolich regains first place for the Tigers as he beats the Angels and Nolan Ryan 2-0. It is Lolich’s 19th win.
- 1915 — The Tigers acquired RHPs Bill James and Grover Lowdermilk from the Browns for outfielder Baby Doll Jacobson.