Tigers Today: August 20, 2010
Posted on August 20, 2010
58-63, 3rd place; 12 GB
Tigers vs. Indians | 7:05 p.m. ET – Comerica Park | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Yankees 11 – Tigers 5
Tigers History Lesson
- Gene Kingsale, 34
On this Date in Tigers History
- 1986 — Walt Terrell is one out away from a no-hitter when Wally Joyner doubles. Terrell settles for a one-hit, 3-0 win over the Angels.
- 1980 — Tom Brookens goes 5 for 5 with a triple and a home run and also starts a triple play in an 8-6 win over the Brewers.
- 1974 — Nolan Ryan of the Angels strikes out 19 Tigers in a 1-0, 11-inning loss to the Tigers. It’s the third time Ryan has struck out 19 batters in one game this season. He throws a ball clocked at 100.9 miles per hour, making it the fastest pitch ever thrown in major league baseball.
- 1972 — The Angels score nine runs in the fourth inning but the Tigers counter with eight runs in the sixth to win the wild affair, 11-9. Aurelio Rodriguez touches off the comeback with a double and ends the scoring with another extra base hit, a three-run homer. In between are six singles and a sacrifice fly.
- 1945 — Hal Newhouser shuts out the A’s 4-0 for his 20th win of the year. Hank Greenberg has his 15-game hitting streak stopped, but Roy Cullenbine and Doc Cramer add home runs.
- 1909 — The Tigers acquired infielder Tom Jones from the Browns for infielder Claude Rossman.