64-64, 3rd Place; 9.5 GB
Tigers @ Blue Jays | 7:07 p.m. ET – Rogers Center | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Tigers 7 – Blue Jays 1
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 1972 — The Tigers’ Willie Horton clouts an 11th-inning two-run home run to beat Minnesota 5-3 in the first of two. In the nightcap, Joe Coleman pitches 11 shutout innings against Minnesota before Aurelio Rodriguez’s home run gives him the 1-0 win. This is the third win in a row for the Tigers on 11th-inning homers. Rodriguez hit one to start
- 1971 — Willie Horton is struck in the eye by a pitch from Chicago’s Rich Hinton, sidelining him for 28 games. Hinton, in his first major-league start, lasts 2-2/3 innings in taking the loss. Joe Coleman earns the win.
- 1961 — Rocky Colavito ties an American League record with four home runs — three in the second game, in a doubleheader pummeling of the Senators 7-4 and 10-1 at Washington
- 1917 — At Detroit, Ty Cobb is 3 for 4 to lead the Tigers to a 5-1 win over the Red Sox and then-pitcher Babe Ruth.
- 1901 — At Boston, Cy Young goes 15 innings to defeat Detroit, 2-1, for his 25th win of the year.