64-66, 3rd Place; 11 GB
Tigers @ Blue Jays | 1:12 p.m. ET – Location | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Blue Jays 5 – Tigers 4
Tigers History Lesson
- Joe Schultz (1918-96)
On this Date in Tigers History
- 1995 — The Tigers acquired a player to be named (outfielder Derek Hacopian) from the Brewers for LHP Kevin Wickander.
- 1986 — The Angels score eight runs in the bottom of the ninth inning, the final four coming on Dick Schofield’s two-out grand slam off Willie Hernandez, to beat the Tigers 13-12.
- 1984 — In Seattle, Mark Langston stops the Tigers on two hits and strikes out 12 to win, 5-1. Ken Phelps’ three-run homer in the fifth is the big blow.
- 1966 — Denny McLain tosses 229 pitches, gives up eight hits, walks nine and strikes out 11 Orioles to notch his 16th victory.
- 1932 — Catcher Ray Hayworth makes his first error of the season after handling 439 chances without a miscue dating back to Sept. 2, 1931.
- 1934 – A capacity crowd at Shibe Park sees Detroit’s Schoolboy Rowe fail to win his 17th straight. He is knocked from the box in the seventh inning of the second- game, 13-5 loss to Philadelphia.
- 1925 — The city of Detroit gives a dinner for Ty Cobb honoring his 20 years in a Tiger uniform. He’s given a trophy by the city and $10,000 by the club.