Today, after the Tigers lost another game in which they took an early lead, I was convinced they had a losing record when they scored first. Not so. With today’s loss they are 41-25. Why does it seem worse?
- A year ago today Brandon Inge hit a grand slam off the Rays’ Russ Springer to beat the Rays 5-3 and the Tigers extended their lead over the Twins to a season-high seven games. And that’s when the bottom fell out.
- In case you, like I, missed it, the Tigers today announced that they’ll recall Scott Sizemore from Triple A Toledo prior to Tuesday night’s game against the White Sox. Sizemore batted .298 with 23 doubles, a triple, nine home runs and 37 RBI in 76 games with the Mud Hens. By the by, in last week’s Fungo Flash Poll, 80 percent of the 149 respondents said that they prefer Will Rhymes over Sizemore.
- The News‘ Tony Paul today continues his terrific series of articles on former Tigers as he catches up with Matt Nokes.
- Planning on going down to Comerica Park before the season ends? You might want to plan around the Tigers’ record on each day of the week. (Hint: Stay away from Tuesdays.):
- Monday: 7-8
- Tuesday: 6-14
- Wednesday: 9-13
- Thursday: 11-4
- Friday: 9-11
- Saturday: 12-11
- Sunday: 14-9
- According to Baseball-Reference.com’s Play Index, the Tigers have 33 comeback wins (their largest comeback being six runs), 29 blown leads (largest: four), five walk-off wins, eight walk-off losses.
- The Tigers inched up two spots in ESPN.com’s MLB Power Rankings from 20 to 18.
Finally, happy 73rd birthday to JoAnne Worley.
Have a great week.