77-75, 3rd Place; 15 GB
Tigers 4 – Royals 2
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2000 — Aurelio Rodriguez was killed in southwest Detroit at age 52. From Baseball-Prospectus.com’s Bullpen:
While he was walking on Detroit’s southwest side at 2:00 in the afternoon with an unidentified woman, a car swerved and jumped the sidewalk and ran over Rodriguez before hitting a tree. The driver of the car had suffered a stroke.
- 1987 — Bill Madlock collects his 2,000th career hit as the Tigers beat Boston, 4-0, on Doyle Alexander’s two-hitter.
- 1984 — Sparky Anderson becomes the first manager ever to win 100 games in a season with two different clubs as the Tigers beat the Yankees, 4-1. He led the Reds to 100-win seasons in 1970, 1975 and 1976.
- 1933 — Despite the fifth-place Tigers’ 5-3 win over the Browns, manager Bucky Harris submits his resignation. Babe Ruth’s name will be prominent in the newspapers as a possible replacement.
- 1915 — In Philadelphia, Ty Cobb steals his 90th base of the year, and only 300 fans are on hand to see it.
- 1905 — Rookie Ty Cobb, 18, hits his first home run, off Cy Falkenberg, an inside-the-park blow, in an 8-5 loss at Washington.