80-81, 3rd Place; 14 GB
Tigers at Orioles | 1:25 p.m. ET – Oriole Park at Camden Yards | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Orioles 2 – Tigers 1
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2009 — The Twins draw even with the Tigers atop the AL Central. The Tigers lose 5-1 to the White Sox and the Twins beat the Royals, 5-4. Michael Cuddyer, hitting .352 with 22 RBI since taking over at first base for the injured Justin Morneau, hits his 31st homer in the win. The Tigers, in case you need to be reminded, had been in first place since July 24 and had led by as many as seven games.
- 1981 — The Brewers clinch their first-ever postseason appearances beating the Tigers, 2-1, eliminating Detroit to wrap up the second-half AL East title.
- 1968 — In Game Two of the World Series, Mickey Lolich ties the Series 1-1. Lolich pitches a six-hitter and hits his first major-league home run to defeat the Cardinals, 8-1.
- 1945 — The Tigers and Cubs face each other in the World Series for the fourth time. Hank Borowy pitches a six-hitter and Hal Newhouser is demolished with eight runs in three innings as the Cubs win, 9-0.
- 1940 — In the World Series, Jimmy Ripple’s two-run home run in the third inning of Game Two provides the winning margin as the Reds end the National League’s 10-game Series losing streak with a 5-3 win over the Tigers.
- 1934 — Dizzy Dean wins the opening game of the World Series, 8-3. Tigers manager Mickey Cochrane held back his ace pitcher, Schoolboy Rowe, and veteran General Crowder is ineffective as Joe Medwick goes 4 for 4, including a home run. The Tigers make five errors.