3-6, Tied for 4th, 4 GB Cleveland
Tigers vs. Rangers | 1:05 p.m. ET – Comerica Park| On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Pitching Matchup Justin Verlander (1-0, 3.86 ERA) vs. Alexi Ogando (1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Royals 9 – Tigers 5
Continue reading Tigers Today: April 11, 2011
Tigers’ Record: 22-16, 2nd place; 2 GB Minnesota
Tigers vs. White Sox | 1:05 p.m. ET – Comerica Park | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 & 97.1 FM
Rick Porcello (3-3, 6.08 ERA) vs. Freddy Garcia (2-2, 4.75 ERA)
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 1912 — The Tigers use a team of replacement players against the Philadelphia A’s. With 19 players on strike in protest of the recent suspension of Ty Cobb, manager Hughie Jennings recruits college players and a number of local semipro players to avoid a forfeit and fine. Detroit loses to the Athletics, 24-2, as pitcher Al Travers gives up all 24 runs on 26 hits.
- 1946 — The Tigers acquired third baseman George Kell from the Philadelphia Athletics for outfielder Barney McCosky.
- 1982 — Larry Herndon hits three home runs in an 11-9 win over the A’s, and in the process becomes the 14th player in major-league history to hit homers in four-consecutive plate appearances. On May 16, he homered in his final at bat to give the Tigers a 7-6 victory over the Twins.
Tigers’ Record: 4-1
Tigers vs. Indians | 1:05 p.m ET – Comerica Park | On the air: FSD PLUS/1270
Justin Verlander, 0-0, 7.20 ERA vs. Jake Westbrook, 0-1, 11.25 ERA
Tigers 4 – Indians 2
Continue reading Tigers Today: April 11, 2010
Some Saturday items, powered by the Tigers’ Game Notes:
- Today marks Justin Verlanderâ€™s 99th career start at the major
league level with the Tigers. With one more starts,
he will become the 54th pitcher in Tigers history to
start 100 games.
- Verlander entered his start this afternoon against the Rangers tied
for third among American League pitchers with 46 wins since the start of the 2006 season, while he is sixth with 96 starts, seventh with 592.1 innings pitched and 12th with 474 strikeouts.
- Since the start of the 2007 season, the Tigers are tops among all American League clubs with a .474 slugging percentage against lefthanded pitchers, while they are second with a .287 batting average. During that stretch, the Tigers have compiled a 54-39 record in games started by lefthanded pitchers.
And some non-Game Notes nuggets:
Finally, Happy 58th Birthday to Sid Monge. (It’s also the birthday of Barney McCosky, the man the Tigers traded to the Philadelphia Athletics for George Kell.) Other birthdays include Sean Bergman (39) and John Martin (53)